2004 Explorer shifts into gear but wheels do not engage

Complete Transmission Repair Cost Guide Transmission Forum – Ask an Expert Ford 2004 Explorer shifts into gear but wheels do not engage

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    jersuha
    Participant

We drove our 2004 Ford Explorer LTD Automatic AWD to a restaurant for lunch. Had a nice smooth ride. When we left the restaurant we started the car, put it into gear and the wheels would not engage, had to call a tow truck. The driver got under the car and checked as we put it through the different gears. He said the gears engaged, but the wheels did not. It was like it was in neutral. The car drove fine to the restaurant and into the parking lot. I don’t know what is the problem. The car belonged to my niece and she gave it to me when her husband had everything including the transmission fixed and the gave her a new car. She had the car in storage for about a year. We drove it from Michigan to Tennessee without any problems and a couple of months more here in the area with no problems at all.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you
    Jersuha

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Hostgator

It sounds like the Park setting has gone a bit haywire. You see when you shift your Explorer into Park there’s a lot going on. While you might see it as simple, when you push the selector into P(ark), a bushing at the end of the output shaft that has a series of dogs or notches on the collar must line up with an anchor point on its housing. When everything aligns correctly, your vehicle stops and won’t move again.

Normally, when you shift back into gear, the output shaft and its housing separate so that the output shaft can spin freely and your Explorer can go into and out of gear and you can go on your way.

Now, in the valve body there is a series of levers that line things up so that your Explorer’s transmission can go into Park and the bushings and the housing can mate, immobilizing the shaft and your car. If one of those small levers has slipped or bent, then it is unlikely that you will be able to get your car to move again, even though the shifter is moving.

Since the levers aren’t deactivating the lockup between the output shaft and its housing, even though your shifter may be going back and forth and even though the gears are engaging correctly, your Explorer just won’t move.

I know it may seem odd, that it must be something big, but I suspect that lever that’s about six inches long is to blame. And, since it is in the valve body, which sits astride the transmission housing, it’s a lot easier to get to.

Yes, it will cost about $525 for the work, but, think about it: at least you won’t have to replace the transmission which costs about six times as much.

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.