2001 Volkswagen GTI 1.8t Won’t Go Into Gear

Complete Transmission Repair Cost Guide Transmission Forum – Ask an Expert Volkwagen 2001 Volkswagen GTI 1.8t Won’t Go Into Gear

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    jnd329
    Participant

Hello,
    My boyfriend & I just bought a used automatic GTI and was told it needed a transmission seal. It’s been sitting for quite some time (maybe 2 months) & towed it home today.

We started it up, but it refuses to go into gear. For instance, while in park, it will roll. We have to have the e-brake on for it to stay put. When we try to put it in reverse or drive, it’s not locking into place. There’s also some fluid that looks to be leaking, not a lot, but only a little. It’s a goldish brown color. I’m wondering if the transmission seal is all it needs.. I don’t want to go to a shop or dealership and be ripped off or be told something to be charged more money. What should I do? & is this possibly just the deal and NOT have to replace the transmission?

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Hostgator

Congratulations on the purchase of the GTI. I think you will like it, once you have straightened out this problem which, from everything you are telling me is simply, your transmission is gone. For instance, you noted that when you put it into Park, you had to pull up the ebrake. That indicates the parking pawl isn’t dropping into place as it should on the output shaft to keep the wheels from turning. If the pawl isn’t working then it is likely that your transmission is basically fried (automatics run very warm and things can actually heat and burn, even fluid).

In this situation, you are looking at a lot more than just a transmission seal. I suspect that when the seal went and the fluid leaked out around the shaft that one or more of the clutches may have gone along with, possibly, the sun gear and a planetary gear or two. The bands may also have gone.

I don’t think you will be getting ripped off if they tell you when they strip things down in the transmission that your GTI needs a rebuilt transmission. A rebuilt transmission is the solution when the shop finds everything is too far gone to do a piecemeal rebuild (build it up piece by piece). You will be looking at a $3,200 bill, approximately.

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.