2000 Mk4 Golf GTI Vr6 5Speed

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Hostgator

Hello I’m looking for help before I spend any cash, I have a 5 Speed GTI VR6, Clutch will work/Grab, Shifts, But currently won’t go into gear as a casual acceleration, My friend who’s a VW guy and has owned nothing but VW’s is stating it could be A: Slave Cylinder, B: Clutch release/ThrowBarring, Or C: Something needs to be adjusted. Any chance I could get help and an answer fast? My email is Alaskatroopertac3@gmail.com
    Thanks,
    AJ.

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Hostgator

If you wouldn’t mind, I’d like to answer it here as it will give information to other folks who may have problems similar to yours. First, it sounds to me, from your description of the problem that it is likely to be a misadjustment to clutch cable.

The indicators of the problem are that it is shifting, but only when you accelerate hard and slam the gearshift home. At that time, you can move through the gears. In casual driving, it doesn’t work as well.
    Now, it might seem your 2000 Golf has a problem with the throwout bearing, but, if it did then it is more than likely your vehicle wouldn’t be shifting at all. Another indicator that it is not the throwout bearing is that your transmission isn’t slipping.

The slave cylinder isn’t necessarily the problem, either, because, like the throwout bearing, your Golf would either be the non-shifting version of the car or it would be the slipping shift verson of the vehicle.

That’s why the spotlight is on the gearshift cable. Normally, the gearshift cable slide easily inside a cable runner as you go through the gears. The cable controls the gearing you choose, activating the proper gates as you go from 1st to 5th. Over time, the cable itself stretches as you use it and after binds within the cable runner. At times, it may work and at other times it won’t.

It is very easy to miss this problem in a visit to a service area or if you do your work yourself. Anyway, it is not hard to fix. First, find the knurled nut on the end and loosen it to take the slack out of the cable. Next, using a small, needlenosed pliers, remove the slack from the gearshift cable. Finally, tighten things back up. It should work well, now. If not, there are likely some deep-seated problems that must be attended to. I hope this helps. Let me know what you find.

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.