97 automatic Accord won't shift gears

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Cmusall
    Participant

Hi I just got a 97 automatic Accord and the car won’t shift gears at all and the speedometer doesn’t work. I was told by the previous owner that it was not driven for two years and just needed all the oils flushed and changed.so I’m trying to get a professionals opinion.

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Hostgator

Did you ask the previous owner whether the Accord had been, at least, started during all that time? I am afraid to ask you, but, I think I know the answer. So, rather than wait, I’ll answer my own question. In those two years, I think that it probably wasn’t started more than once or twice.

If this was the case, then, it is going to take a lot more than having the “oils flushed and changed.” Any mechanical device from an electrician’s jackknife to a car will feel the effects of two years of inaction. By their very nature, metals that are left unused for a long period of time will tend to “freeze” together. When this happens, the microscopic amounts of moisture that exist on all planes of a mechanical device rust together, causing the metal faces to freeze tight.

About the only way this can be freed up is to use a rather large dead-blow mallet (a mallet that gives a huge impact but no dent). Of course, this may just cause the particular device you are working on — the engine pulley assembly, for example — to warp, causing further problems. The further problems that occur happen if you are lucky enough to get the engine turning. Since the devices that you freed are likely out of round, they will run eccentrically, causing the individual parts to break down and, quite likely fail.

As to the transmission, I don’t think there’s much hope for the device that is inside the case right now. The nature of transmission fluid is organic. Over time, the tranny fluid deteriorates and can gel. As time passes further, the gelled fluid becomes solid, almost cement-like.

If it were me, I would cut my losses and sell the Acura to a scrapyard. With a little judicious looking, you can find a much newer car for relatively little cost.

There, you’ve asked for the opinion of a professional and that’s mine. If you want to discuss this further, just let me know and I’ll be happy talk.

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.