2008 Chevy Uplander Revs But Won’t Move

Complete Transmission Repair Cost Guide Transmission Forum – Ask an Expert Chevrolet 2008 Chevy Uplander Revs But Won’t Move

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Administrator5
    Keymaster

I am posting this here for “TP”.

I am a disabled female who bought a wheelchair accessible 2008 chevy uplander 10months ago and drive it from my w/chair with the help of hand controls. 2weeks ago, I was stopped at a red light. When the light was green, I tried to go but couldn’t. Each time I tried to accelerate, it would make a revving noise but would not move, and left me stuck in the intersection. Some guys pushed me, and my van, into nearest lot, which happened to be a auto repair shop. Dx is I need new transmission. Quotes are around $25-3,000, which I do not have. Mgmt from dealer where I got it wants to help but claims new ownership company says no due to 3mo warranty expired and “new” company didn’t sell to me.

Until I can figure out, it sits at the repair shop. This is my independence, so any help appreciated.

In reading posts on your site, I see several others with transmission issues on the chevy uplander. Is this common? Mine is 2008, with 61,000miles.

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Hostgator

There are a couple of recurring problems that affect Uplanders built from 2005-08. They range from a service bulletin that covers stalling problems similar to the one you are experiencing to valve body problems to dirty transmission fluid.

Briefly, the service bulletin addresses stalling issues that are similar to the one you experiencing in your Uplander. Honestly, it does apply to other parts of the engine, but, there is a mention of the transmission in it so I thought I would add it to the list of possible cures.

My suggestion is this: take your car to a dealer’s service area and ask them to look up all of the service bulletins that apply to your Uplander. If it is a dealer you have used for a time so much the better because the dealership will have a long record of the service procedures performed on your minivan.

There are four technical service bulletins that apply specifically to the transmission. They are:

• 08-07-30-016
    • 08-07-30-002
    • 08-07-30-013
    • 4133 (believe it is internal number)

I won’t go into each bulletin as we have space constraints, but, suffice it to say, one or another of them may apply. The only way to know is to have a technician check.

There have been reports of dirt in the valve body that keeps the check valves from working properly. If the check valves don’t open in sequence, you will find your Uplander either not going into the gear you select, at all. Or, it may act as you have described. If this is the case, a valve body cleaning will put it into shape. It should cost about $450 for the work.

Finally, it is possible that your Uplander is either very low on transmission fluid or dirt has built up in the fluid and it has left deposits on parts of the transmission that are keeping it from working correctly. Also, the dirt may have plugged the transmission filter which stops fluid flow — or cuts it down significantly. If this happens your Uplander won’t budge.

I don’t think your Uplander needs a rebuilt installed — the price range is spot on, by the way. However, it does need work that, in some cases, might tip $800. I know your money is tight and that you may not have the funds. However, at least it is not $3,000 or more. Let me know what happens, please and we will try to figure things out.

More information here on the Uplander:

Chevy Uplander Transmission Problems & Cost | 4T65E

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.