2007 Entourage Keylock Cylinder or Gearshift Problem

Complete Transmission Repair Cost Guide Transmission Forum – Ask an Expert Hyundai 2007 Entourage Keylock Cylinder or Gearshift Problem

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Therealbambam
    Participant

My hear shifter will not go all the way in park and when it does it can be hard to get out. This I believe also is causing my key not to turn off all the way and I’m not able to get the key out. I think it might have something to do with the linkage. But I did notice that when I wiggle the gear shifter that my dash light will flicker and I hear a clicking sound coming from the dash. Any ideas?

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Hostgator

It sounds like you are actually having a problem with the keylock cylinder, rather than the gearshift. Normally, when you shift into Park, you place your foot on the brake and the neutral/start switch disengages and de-energizes the ignition circuit. If the keylock cylinder doesn’t go all the way home, you will not be able to place your car into Park.

By the same token, you will not be able to remove the key from the ignition, either.

You also said that when you wiggle the gearshift the dash light flickers and there is a clicking sound from the dash. What is happening here is the keylock circuitry is partially energizing. Again, this indicates that the problem, like as not, is in the keylock cylinder.

Therealbambam
    Participant

But would that also be the case if the gear shifter was not on the column. When it first started I could push the shifter forward into park hard and the key would come out. But now if I put it into park it is real hard to get out like it’s jammed

Hostgator

Ah, then it sounds like the cable within the runner in the gearshift cable has stretched and the cable is binding. It is the way the cable is made. Normally, what happens when you shift is that the cable has stretched and instead of taking up any slack, causing the shifter to hunt for the proper transmission setting point.

If everything is working as it is supposed to within the runner, the cable works against its anchor point, usually installed in the valve body. The anchor point can consist of a bar that makes the actual selection in response to the cable. Once your vehicle has found its shifting point, the vehicle’s transmission responds by selecting the proper path in the valve body so that the proper gear is chosen. Once the proper great kicks in, life is good. However, sometimes, until you find the right gear, things can be weird.

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.