2004 Toyota Camry SE, dead transmission at 81,000 miles, orig owner

Complete Transmission Repair Cost Guide Transmission Forum – Ask an Expert Toyota 2004 Toyota Camry SE, dead transmission at 81,000 miles, orig owner

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    doxiesrock912
    Participant

Hello, the car has been well maintained through the dealership since purchased as per Toyota’s advice.

Worked perfectly until this winter when I went to start it and heard a whining noise. The dealership said that they “completely lost the gears” when they drove it. They want $4,900 to put in a re manufactured transmission which clearly isn’t resonable.

Toyota will not do anything (2010) the moonroof cable broke for no apparent reason and they covered half of the repair. They have a policy of only providing gratis once.

I need recommendations in the Farmington CT area please and if I can pursue another avenue because a Toyota Camry should not lose the transmission at 81,000 miles when ALL scheduled maintenance was done by the dealership.

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Hostgator

Toyota is being totally unreasonable with this. I take it that you have had your Camry serviced at the same dealership where you purchased and I also take it that you have faithfully followed all of their instructions. In this case, as a show of good faith, the dealership’s principal should have offered to split the difference on the transmission with you. The cost of the transmission in your area is about $5,000 so that figure is reasonable, but you should not have to pay it. Here are a couple of suggestions that may work:

— Contact the dealership’s principal, owner, and impress upon him or her that you have had your car faithfully serviced at the dealership and suggest that they cover half of the repair. Most dealers are reasonable, especially if you are a loyal customer

— Contact the local Toyota factory office and ask for the district manager in charge of the particular area in which the Toyota dealership is located. Show the manager your paperwork and emphasize you are a loyal customer and will likely buy other Toyotas in future. They may go to bat for you with the dealership.

— Contact Toyota’s consumer relations department and tell them your story. Though it may not seem like you can do much to influence a dealer or a carmaker, the record does show that a manufacturer does not like dissatisfied customers, especially if they will be buying further cars downstream. Many times, they will urge the automaker to do what is right.

— Contact your state’s attorney general or consumer affairs department and tell them your issue. Keep all of the paperwork on your car organized and show them the papers. It may not do much, but it may just put enough pressure on the dealer so that he or she will do the right thing.

— Contact a local consumer affairs reporter and detail your story. The reporter will contact the dealer and try to work something out. This is often the best way to accomplish your goal. It does work, really.

julianawatis
    Participant

Hi, I know nothing about car.bought used 2002.
    2002 se camry,brought to my regular
    mechanic, nothing significant with the car.
    2 months after, I found out I need transmission.
    brought it to different mechanic, and he suggested to
    have the rebuilt since it comes with 1 year warranty.
    got the car back, I felt the car is jerking when it
    shifted gear, they said to drive it for at least 2
    weeks.aFter few wks, it drove normal.lest than
    1 month, I felt another jerking.brought it back, they said it’s the valve body, and it’s not covered
    with the warranty.
    is something like this normal?

Thank you

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.