2003 Nissan Frontier Transmission Issue

Complete Transmission Repair Cost Guide Transmission Forum – Ask an Expert Nissan 2003 Nissan Frontier Transmission Issue

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    dwromero
    Participant

I have a 2003 Nissan Frontier with a manual transmission with about 150000 miles. I brought it to Aamco last year due a noise that it was making & I could also feel in the shift while idling. They told me it needed a rebuild or replaced. I told them to go ahead & rebuild it. When the job was done & I went to pick up the truck, they asked me if I wanted to see the bad parts. I said yes. They had the bearings & gears laying on a table & told me that the tail bearing was bad & it was bad. All the balls had come out of it. The mechanic made the comment to me that the gears were still good but it was better to replace all the gears & bearings while it was tore apart. What I walked away from this with, is that I paid right at $2000 to have the tail bearing replaced in the transmission. I did not really get a good feeling from this. I have noticed lately that when shifting into 2nd gear, it feels like there is some potential grinding & hesitation when putting it in gear. I can hear it a little bit & feel it in the shifter. It is only 2nd gear & it is only when the transmission is cold. After it warms up, it shifts fine. Because of what was stated earlier, I not really wanting to bring the truck back to Aamco. Is there some sort of adjustment that I could possible make on the transmission myself instead of bringing it in somewhere?

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Hostgator

Here’s a good new-bad news answer. The good news is that your Frontier’s transmission is still working nicely at 150,000 miles. The bad news is that there’s no way to get to the tail bearing you mentioned without getting into the transmission in a major way.

You can breath a little more easily, though, when you realize that even though they may have replaced the major components of the transmission, there are still other parts that have remained the same. And, due to uneven wear rates (newer versus older), it’s honestly quite right to expect a bit of oddity now and then.

To be truthful, either you live with the strangeness, or you are going to have to shell out another, say, $1,500 to have the problem fixed. The reason it won’t be $2,000 again is that you have already replaced most of the MAJOR parts, but there are still one or two that likely need replacement now. Once you have had that service performed then your transmission and your Frontier will be happy campers again.

dwromero
    Participant

Thanks for the input, I will probably live with the it for now.

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.