2002 Honda Civic Transmission Problems

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    trox
    Participant

I have a 2002 Honda civic that has NEVER had any kind of problem, ive always kept up with maintenance. Yesterday driving home my tranny slipped twice with no previous indications, and then within a 1 mile time frame (stopped at gas station), the transmission is completely failed. Wont go in to gear, and that’s when the check engine light came on, after it was dead in the water. I had it towed to a mechanic which told me there is a service bulletin on my car, and they want $3600 to fix it. I was told by someone that there could be a belt or band inside the tranny that broke? I really don’t know anything about cars, but I do know I don’t have $3600 to fix it! Am I just out of a car? Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Hostgator

There is a belt inside Honda’s engines, the timing belt. On your Civic, the replacement should be done between 85,000 and 105,000 miles. It’s a must replacement item on your Honda as your car’s engine needs the timing belt to make sure that all of the engine synchronize correctly. If they don’t then things tend to smack into one another. For example, if the timing belt fails then input and output valves could run into one another, causing lots of damage — very expensive damage.

The moral of that story is to follow the manufacturer’s recommendation and have the belt replaced. The cost will be about $1,200.

The timing belt has nothing to do with the transmission, though.

The tranny, in fact, is another story. There was a flurry of transmission problems that impacted 2002 Honda Civics and it sounds as if yours might be one of the ones involved. The good thing is that if your Civic is involved, then your repairs will be covered because there was a recall issued. And, when a recall is issued, the repairs are done by Honda dealers for free.

Here’s what you have to do. You do have to contact a local Honda dealer and ask if your vehicle is involved in the 2004 recall program. They do have to tell you about the issue, although they may not be that forthcoming with the information. There have even been some reports of downright rudeness on this whole thing. If there is rudeness, then it likely means you have touched a nerve somewhere in a dealership that the dealership didn’t want touched. In other words, they are telling you, in a way, that your Civic is covered by the recall.

If they still are reluctant to help you, then you can check to see if your vehicle is involved in a recall by going to http://www.safercar.gov and poking around the site until you find the VIN search tool. This tool tells you whether your Civic is involved in a recall. If it is then you are in luck because the repair is free, as noted.

Just one word on the price, the $3,600 is pretty average for a Honda transmission, although if you can find a replacement tranny in a salvage yard and have it swapped in for the failed unit, you will spend about half that amount.

Hostgator

Sounds like a transmission problem and repairing that could cost anywhere from $1000 to $3000.

jablouis
    Participant

I have a Honda Accord 2005. Recently I noticed the engine and the gear oil was low so I took it to the mechanic for servicing. Three days after the servicing was done my car stopped doing fine.
    The first time I noticed this my car will start but wouldn’t engage when I accelerate it for faster speed. When I try to do this it makes a vooooooooooooom sound and then stop moving. I will then put it off, start it again and then it would move on Drive D, but if try to accelerate again it makes the sound and the movement stops.
    Someone who have had a similar experience said it is possible my gear is bad and I might have to change it.

Please, what could be wrong and what is the solution?

KrissyJohn
    Participant

I have a Honda Civic 2002 and I have always taken great care of my car for its my life however yesterday as I was on the highway the rpm went very high as if it slipped a gear then as I turned around because I didn’t want nothing to happen to me it continued the same thing this time the engine light came on and the car was still driving as I was trying to get off on an exit and when I did I had to pull over cause my car stopped. I put it in park and cut it off checked the fluids and everything was fine I started the car up with no problems put it in drive and car did not move. I let the car sit for about 30mins and I started the car back up I was able to drive about a 1 1/2 mile the rpm went up and then I had to pull car over again this time I sat there for about 1 1/2 hour started the car up put it in drive went another 1/2 mile and had to stop. I thought if I stay there with the car cut off that I would be able to drive some more just so I could get home I would start the car put it in drive with my foot on the gas pedal the rpm just raised that’s all no movement same thing happen as I put it in reverse or lower gears. Please help me out I don’t want to buy a transmission if I don’t have to I was thinking maybe it could be a solenoid or something that is cheaper than a transmission. Any suggestions on what it could be

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.