2002 Dodge Caravan – Possible Transmission Problems – Need Help!

Complete Transmission Repair Cost Guide Transmission Forum – Ask an Expert Dodge 2002 Dodge Caravan – Possible Transmission Problems – Need Help!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    WBcar333
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    I have a 2002 Dodge Caravan – When in reverse, it seems as if the car has it’s brake on. I can still move it in reverse with no problem, but it doesn’t free roll in reverse. I was told by a trustworthy mechanic that it is a transmission problem. Can anyone give me more insight to this problem? Could it be a symptom of something else? Any input would be great.

Thanks!

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Hostgator

Okay, your tranny like as not has gone into limp-home mode. In limp-home, you usually lose most of your forward gears and reverse may or may not work. If it does work, it usually works as you describe it. From what you are describing, it is a good bet that either one or more of the clutches and bands has gone or the clutches/bands/gearing combination has gone. If this is the case, and I suspect that it is, then you are looking at a major transmission job. You are looking at a $2,500 to $3,200 tab, depending on the number of clutch packs, bands and gears that may have gone.

Before you run out to the shop and spend the money, there’s another possibility. It is possible that one or more of the shift solenoids on the valve body have gone. If a shift solenoid has gone, then it won’t go into the proper gear or if it does go into gear, it won’t leave that gear, so I would have them checked.

Finally, two more areas to check are the valve body where a check valve may be stuck, not allowing the transmission fluid to flow properly or the torque converter. If the torque converter is misaligned or is damaged it is quite possible that could be contributing to the problem.

And, while I honestly suspect the problem is in the clutch/band/gearing area, it is possible that each of the areas is contributing to the problem and the only fix for that is a rebuilt transmission. The cost of that fix is roughly $3,000.

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.