1994 Toyota Corolla transmission slipping

Complete Transmission Repair Cost Guide Transmission Forum – Ask an Expert Toyota 1994 Toyota Corolla transmission slipping

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    steve dultmeier
    Participant

Have a ’94 Toyota Corolla automatic transmission. When driving the speedometer drops to zero then starts bouncing erratically. Soon after the transmission acts like its slippin in and out of neutral, revs real high etc… It does it at pretty much any speed. Replaced the speedometer throttle sensor and it started doing it again 3 weeks later. We paid $1100 to have the transmission rebuilt and computer replaced and it does the same exact thing. It becomes undriveable and if I reset the computer by removing the battery cables for 10 minutes it will drive fine for a day or two. Car is sentimental to us, somebody please help with ideas that may lead to our solution. Thank you

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Hostgator

I noticed you said you paid $1,100 to have the transmission rebuilt. For that price, you may have had the valve body cleaned and some of the check valves replaced or you may have had the solenoids replaced and, quite possibly, a seal or two fixed, as well as a new tranny filter installed. However, the work done indicates to me that maybe one component was fixed, rather than the whole thing.

I don’t know where you had the work done, but, I would suggest going back to them with the paid receipt and demanding your money back. Failing that, I would suggest you go to your county prosecutor or state attorney general or the consumer affairs office as it is obvious to me that there is a bit of fraud going on. They may have said the transmission was rebuilt but a real rebuilding job will cost in the vicinity of $3,200 to $3,800, depending on the location.

Why, even replacing the transmission with a rebuilt unit will cost from $3,000 to about $3,400 (a rebuild, since it does things piece by piece is generally more expensive than replacing the entire unit with a rebuilt transmission).

That said, you are going to have to have the tranny replaced with a rebuilt, as I just noted. From everything you have told me, the problem is beyond the temporary fixes you tried, way beyond. Please let me know what happens. I am interested in hearing from you.

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.