1994 850T auto trans not engaging.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Volvolvr72
    Participant

My 1994 Volvo 850T about trans is not engaging beyond cold start limp mode. I have replaced the PNP switch twice and am wondering if shifting solenoids is my next stop or if there is an exterior problem I may have overlooked as I have never liked tranny work.

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Hostgator

At this point, with two PNP (neutral start) switch replacements, it is probably the best bet to have a replacement transmission installed. It is possible that you might add a bit of time to the ultimate replacement, but you are putting in good parts only waiting for them to go bad. Replacing S1 requires you to align it quite closely. You can find steps on the net and, ultimately S2, which does require dropping the subframe. Unfortunately, all of these fixes are bandaids as the tranny is likely damaged now. Instead, for your own peace of mind, it’s a good idea to replace the transmission. It is expensive, but you will be happier in the long run.

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.