1992 Honda Accord

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    theSpekter
    Participant

Hello
    I own a 1992 Honda Accord. It has 98,000 miles. I drive long distances with it most of the time and have had no problems until the other day. I had been driving on the highway approximately 20 minutes when I noticed that it didn’t shift properly. I was traveling at 65 MPH. When I got off the exit I was able to drive a little way and then the transmission wouldn’t shift. I pulled over and sat for about a half hour. I then started it up and the car drove normally for about 5 miles and it started to slip again. The car sat for another day, and I tried to drive it and it ran well with the same results as described. Can you give me an idea of what it could be that is causing this problem? There are no codes or flashing lights when this happens.
    Thanks

Need a replacement transmission? Quality transmissions are hard to find. Free estimate to your email.

Hostgator

The 1992 Honda is right on the edge of the computer revolution in cars. It is old enough to feature mostly mechanical systems and new enough to have a bit of computerization under the hood. So, while the OBD-II diagnostic scanner and dashboard trouble light flash codes, the computer code that is contained in the transmission control module — the computer that controls things in the tranny — is pretty basic. It will show you general areas where things might be breaking or broken, but that’s about it. In contrast, today’s computer code is pretty strong and getting stronger. With every software upgrade now, it becomes easier to diagnose a problem simply because the number of specific codes pointing to trouble-spots has increased dramatically in just the last few years.

In your ’92, you still have a number of mechanically controlled systems. For example, the torque converter and impeller are totally mechanical. This means that if something goes bad your technician, unless you feel competent to do the work, will be doing much more mechanical and far less electronic work than he may be accustomed to.

However, it could be that an early conversion to electronics — shifting — may be at fault here. It sounds as if the gearshift selection solenoids are failing or have failed. There are usually two of them, one on the inside of the valve body and the other on the exterior. The solenoids work together to put your car into gear and keep it there. For example, when your Accord is in first, Solenoid 1 may be on, while Solenoid 2 is off. In second, it might be the reverse, while third may feature both Solenoids on and fourth may be both off. Since Reverse is a direct connect gearing, they Solenoids are shunted to the sides (you didn’t mention whether it shifts into reverse when it begins to run weirdly).

If the solenoids are gone or going, it is a relatively straightforward fix, though, your tech will have to go inside the valve body to access one of the devices. With that said, you are looking at about a $600 bill to replace them both.

It is possible, though, that the clutches and bands may be failing which will cause your Accord to operate as you describe. If that is the case, then your tech will have to tear down the transmission to get to the parts that need to be replaced. And, honestly, by the time the tech gets there it is better just to replace the transmission with a rebuilt. If you do replace it, you are looking at a bill of about $4,000 or so.

Fair Replacement Transmission Cost by Vehicle

1. Use the Year / Make / Model lookup tool to determine what transmission your vehicle has.
  2. [transtar]
  3. Find your transmission model in the table below for fair prices from reputable suppliers. Also fair labor cost for local installation at a local auto repair shop.

4. Get a free estimate on a remanufactured transmission by email.

Fair Remanufactured Transmission Price Ranges by Transmission Model Updated May 1, 2018

transmission repair cost
Download Replacement Transmission Cost Guide PDF
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.